Saturday, March 11, 2006

Smashed crate

Thursday afternoon a shipment of muskets and bayonet arrived. I had to go across town to the truck driver's house to meet him becasue our road is now posted with a 6 ton limit, and will remain so for the duration of "mud season". How we work it during this season is that I take my pickup and meet the straight truck somewhere to transfer the crates to my truck for the ride up the hill.

When I got to the guy's house, I was horrified to see a crate of Enfield muskets totally smashed. You could see that it had been dropped on it's end, probably from a loading dock. Whoever smashed it too the time to put another band around it the long way to hold the big pieces together. I photographed it in it entirety to document it in case I had to file a claim. A crate of muskets represents a lot of money!

Once I got got home, Wendy and I unloaded the truck, since Steven had gone for the day. We discovered another crate that had been pierced with the blade of a fork truck. Now I was really getting scared...

As we unpack the crates, we inspect them for damage, measure the bores and log them in to our inventory book. It's a bit tedious, but it is still a thrill every time I open a crate. Like Christmas in March!

Miraculously, there wasn't a single gun damaged even though one crate had been punctured and another had been completely smashed.

This batch of guns has a nice feel to them. I can't put it into words well, but some guns just "feel" better than others. The finish on the wood is a perfect color, the shape and form of the stocks are just right. All in all, a shipment that scared me at first when I saw the damaged crates is turning out pretty nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home