Thursday, October 25, 2012

One less box of junk

I have decided that every day I will try to sort out and dispose of one box of junk from my garage. My garage is full of stuff that belonged to dead people. Family members would store stuff in my garage at my old house or in the cellar of my old house, then die, leaving me with their boxes of random stuff. Much like useless things people pay to store at storage lockers, the vast majority of it is stuff that they didn't really want but didn't want to throw away just yet. When they died, I got stuck with it. As I sit and think about it, there is useless junk from at least five people out there. Yeah, there are a few family heirlooms and treasures mixed in, which is why I need to go through each box, but for the most part it is just junk...old ripped clothes that were meant to be mended someday, 1971 tax returns, old kitchenware, etc. For instance, the box (actually a trash bag) that I sorted today contained barrettes, some craft supplies, a half of a spiral bound notebook, a decorative broom looking thing that you'd hang on your front door in the fall if you were the sort of person who did that sort of thing (I am not), two blobs of pictures of someone else's kids that were water damaged in my damp cellar, an object that we think may have held a decorative candle at one time, a mini sewing kit, an obituary notice, a frisbee, some recipe cards, a pair of cheap sunglasses, a metal jar lid, and a Pink Floyd 8-track. Out of all of that, I'll use the notebook, put the sewing kit with my stash of sewing stuff, and save the obituary notice. The rest goes in the trash. It makes me wonder why anyone bothered to keep this stuff in the first place. Then it frustrates me that after it was stored in my cellar in Lowell for all of those years, I moved it 100 miles in a truck that I had to rent in order to get it to my new house up here in NH. Wasted effort, a wasted truck. We have lived here for 8 years now and all of this crap has been taking up a whole garage bay. If I can keep at it and work my way through this massive pile of dead people's useless junk, I will free up a place to keep my on useless junk. Isn't that what garages are for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home