Saturday, January 21, 2023

Still working on cleanup here

 December was a weird month, mostly due to my own three-stooges level clumsiness.

First misadventure:

In getting ready for the cold weather, I set out to replace a piece of rotted wood at the bottom of one of the glass doors to the shop.

To make a long story short, I managed to shatter the tempered safety glass door into approximately 300 million tiny shards of glass. The noise of it popping was spectacular! The cleanup was less spectacular but amazingly time consuming. If you've ever wondered how far little kernels of broken glass can travel, just smash a glass door because it will be made very clear to you how much wanderlust they have.

Without getting into the halfass repair that has to get my through the winter, there was an incredible amount of work that had to be done to deal with the wreckage. Boxes of stuff, the counter, a glass display case, gun racks, all of that stuff had to migrate around the shop as glass was cleaned up from pretty much everywhere.

The upside to this is that the shop is a lot more organized now and over this weekend I should have the last of the gun racks put back into place. Since everything was displaced, I seized the opportunity to make some upgrades I had been thinking about for some time. For instance, the gun racks were retrofitted with big swivel casters so I can move them around.

Anybody who has been in the gun room here won't be able to recognize it when I am done.

The second misadventure is related to the first one.

Imagine all of the stuff that had to be moved and displaced in the glass cleanup/rearranging process. It all had to be put somewhere. Where? EVERYWHERE!

This is what led to Misadventure #2.

An empty set of steel shelf rails got leaned up against another shelf and somehow fell over, slicing a gash into the big upside-down pyramid shaped canvas bag that is the reservoir for the packing peanut dispenser!

You know how when you open up a box that was shipped with packing peanuts as the padding to UPS-proof the items inside, they tend to get unruly and escape all over the place?

Imagine a 20 cubic foot version of that, only with 300 million glass shards added to the mix.

I don't use the shop-vac very often, but when I do, I am thankful for it's existence.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home