Sunday, February 20, 2005

How about a smoothbore shoot?

It's quarter part one on Sunday morning and I'm still wandering around the shop trying to get caught up on stuff that went neglected as I fought with my computer for a while there. I straightened up a little in the gun room, and my mind went to shooting.

I think it might be fun to have a musket shoot this spring. Why? Why not! We used to run two shoots a year back in Massachusetts. They got a little complicated at times, with too any categories. I'm thinking of just a few to keep it simple and fun.

1. Smoothbore musket. Can be flint, percussion, whatever as long as it is smoothbore. A decent sized target at 50 yards (or whatever the width of the clearing measures out as). Five shots on the target with best possible score being 50.

2. Pistol dual elimination. Start back to back, as if in a duel. Take five steps at range officer's command, he counts to 5, you turn and fire at a man-sized target. First shot fired that hits the target wins and goes on to the next round.

3. Team shoot. Teams of 3 shoot a 2 x 4 in half. The board is suspended by a rope on either end so that it is swinging after the first shot hits.

I thought about a "trap" type shot where you have to use shot to hit a clay pigeon, but why complicate things? Three classes, simple scoring. Quick, easy and fun for everyone.

I have also been giving thought to a postal match. A postal match is when you get your target in the mail, shoot it at your own range wherever you may happen to live, and mail it back here for scoring. It relies on the honor system that you will post the target at 50 yards and not 20. For the first attemt at this, I'll probably just open it up to smoothbore muskets, and if it goes smoothly, add a pistol match next time.

At our shoots that were held at the Lowell Sportsmans Club years ago, we used to give out food as prizes. Turkey for first, capon for second, big box of vegetables for third. While that kept with the "turkey shoot" theme, it really sucked for me when a shoot got rained out and I had a van full of food to deal with. Since I paid up front for the prizes and hoped the entry fees would break even, I ended up eating a LOT of turkey that year.

I don't know what to do for prizes in either event (in person shoot or postal match). I also would not know what to do with any money from entry fees that might be left over after paying for prizes. Back in Lowell, we used to donate it to the Club.

I'll ponder this some more, then post a notice about it on our website. If you are reading this, and have any thoughts on the matter of either a postal shoot or a traditional shoot, send me some feedback at PetePlunkett@msn.com

The postal shoot is more flexible, but if we were to put a shoot here on our property together I'd have to start work on the planning for it NOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home