Sunday, March 12, 2006

Calf update

A couple of people have asked how the calves are doing, particularly the sickly one. Th sad news is that he didn't make it. He was runty to begin with, and the scours were too much for him to handle. We tried, but not much could be done for him. It's a risk I was willing to take. At least here he has a warm, dry place to live for his few days that he lived as opposed to being shuttled around on livestock trailers from dealer to dealer. It was heartbreaking to watch the little guy fade away, but I knew what I was getting into when I brought him home.

Rocky the Holstien, on the other hand, is doing quite well. He had a bout with scours, but responded well to treatment (pepto bismol, cutting his milk ration down to nothing, feeding pedialite and plain yogurt) and recovered like a champ.

Here's a picture of Caleigh giving him his morning bottle, and here's one of him patiently waiting for me as I approach with the morning grub. Bumper, the white goat, who is sticking her head out of the cattle panel bleating at me, is less than patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home