Monday, August 06, 2007

Buster does it again...

Ok, last night Buster starts barking up a storm at around 1:30AM. He usually doesn't bark in the house, so whatever upset him was near-by and really important to him.

Standard procedure when he barks is for me to grab a gun and a light of some sort and go see what he is into tonight. Since he was inside, trying desperately to get out of the shop door to get at something, I opened up the door and followed him out thinking that I'd encounter what he was after as soon as he did. Nope. He took off like a shot to the woods across the driveway and was gone. I sprinted across to join him, but saw nothing in the thick underbrush. He barked at something and got it moving off to my left, I heard the brush breaking in a place where Buster wasn't. Next thing you know he's on the move, heading up onto the mountain. I wasn't about to go up there after him, so I hung around on the logging road for a while to see if he would be back soon. Eventually, he came back, panting and thirsty. He checked in with me and went back out on patrol.

Today, coming up the road, I noticed the cane (I think it is called American Bamboo) that grows in the ditch across the street all smashed over into the road, like something had crashed through it. I'm thinking that what we ran off last night was probably a bear, since it made such a mess of the cane. I don't know, but whatever it was, Buster was pretty serious about it.

Tonight, he came in from a patrol and disappeared onto the couch, seemingly trying to keep a low profile. I thought nothing of it as I was really into a plumbing project. Wendy happened to walk by him, and noticed something odd about his nose...it was decorated with 10 porcupine quills! What a dufus. I can see him now, walking up to a porky and giving it a big sniff.

So far we have yanked 8 of them out, but that was pretty much his limit of what he would tolerate. We'll let him rest for a while and hopefully forget what we are up to when I put him in a headlock and Wendy approaches with a pair of pliers. As I type this, he's curled up under my desk, so he isn't taking it personally.

I shudder to think about what he will get into next: in the past two weeks, he's gotten into a scrap with a fisher, got sprayed by a skunk, and now has gotten a nose full of quills. Never a dull moment...

Here he is, looking embarrassed by his new nose decorations:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home