Saturday, April 11, 2009

First gooey pocket of 2009

So this evening I go out to do my farm-chores. Momma goose is sitting on her nest with 11 eggs underneath. The Pekin ducks aren't that into nesting, so they just leave eggs randomly placed lying around their pen. The red hen lays eggs in an old musket crate, the white hen does too sometimes, but usually she stashes them under the chicken house. The Arucana hen leaves eggs in mysterious places, trying to decide which is best.

The little bantam hen, however, has a plan. She is a little smaller than a pigeon, but pushes out a long, skinny egg for her size. The odd part is that she lays it in the goat's feed dish inside their lean-to.

Tonight when I gathered the eggs from here and there, I stuck the bantam egg in my coat pocket to carry it out to the bucket where I had already put the duck eggs. Bad idea, and I never seem to learn that lesson. Why? Because whenever you put an egg in your pocket, it is almost guaranteed that a goat will push up against you and break it there. So tonight I got my first gooey pocket of the 2009 egg laying season. It probably won't be the last because I never learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home