Friday, February 25, 2005

#$%&@!*&#%$ computer virus!

I am so annoyed right now that I can't really express it in words.

Last week I got the worst computer virus I have ever dealt with. I had been doing a Google search on a particular gun trade show in Germany, and all of a sudden my antivirus software popped up, announcing that a virus had been detected. It mananged to attach itself to some important Windows file, so when the antivirus software "quaranteened" it, Windows ceased to work.

Great. An outmoded computer with no Operating System. I had hoped this machine would last until spring, but some weenie with too much time on their hands wrote a virus to amuse himself and screwed me over.

I have 16 hours into re-installing programs (including Windows 98) and it still isn't working right.

The good news is that I have finally "gotten real" and ordered a new computer. It is supposed to get here today. In the long run, this is a good thing as it is a real advancement in technology over my old EMachines Pentium 400. I picked a machine that can do not only desktop publishing, but also digital video stuff as well. The plan is to produce a DVD instructional video that will show the details of how to safely shoot and maintain a flintlock. Who knows whet else we can put on it as space allows, maybe historic stuff, maybe footage of events. DVDs are cheap to burn, cheap to mail, and this seems like the way to go for a project like this.

I guess every cloud has a silver lining!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home