Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Gone fishing...

I felt inspired yesterday, so I knocked off at round 3 in the afternoon and went fishing. It's pretty messed up that this was only the third time I've been fishing in the past seven years. I need to make an effort to get out more often.

Of those three times, this is the first time I've caught anything. I came home with a bag of panfish. Seven bluegills, a perch and a small bass. Yes, you can eat bluegills. Remove the head, pull out the guts, peel off the skin, pull out the fins and rinse, then coat with cornmeal or flour, a bit of salt and pepper, and fry. They aren't hornpout, but are still good to eat.

I was kind of annoyed by the trash that was there. I had gone to a state owned fishing/boating area across the bridge from #4. Sometime trash just happens, and you just pick it up. Things blow out of car windows, stuff gets lost over the sides of a boat and washes up on shore, etc. etc. The trash that bothered me was an assortment of empty worm containers. You know, the white plastic kind that you get 2 dozen worms in at the corner store. The only way they end up at fishing places is by being left there by slob fishermen. I picked up a few, next time I'll bring a trash bag and pick up more.

Wendy and Caleigh caught some fish too. It was much less messy since they caught them all wrapped up in a plastic bag at the supermarket. We sat down to dinner around 10, quite a fish feast!

After dinner I made a tub of butter from storebought cream by shaking it in a glass jar. Since it actually worked, I think I'll seek out a source of raw milk to make some "real" butter. I've got leads on two Jersey milk farms that will sell raw milk at the gate.

As soon as the new moon is over, we'll be planting our garden with various heirloom vegetables. In colonial days right up through the first part of the 20th century, planting was done by the moon. Things that grew underground would be planted as the moon shrunk, and things that grew above ground would be planted as the moon grew. I haven't thought much about the science behind this, just the traditions. The moon governed nearly everything that was done on the old farms.

OK, back to work. Gotta get caught up if I ever want to go fishing again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home