Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Stupid rooster

The rooster I wrote about on April 27th is still making more noise than he is welcome to. Over the weekend, we managed to catch him and stick him back in the coop, but he was out again the next day. Houdini chicken...

I wouldn't mind so much that he is out of the pen and running with the guineas, but several times he has been aggressive towards Caleigh. That is simply not allowed. I'm defrosting our last rooster from the last butchering day, and the freezer beckons to him! There are actually a few roosters that will be headed there.

Somehow or other, we ended up with too many roos, and they are overmating the hens. Sure, this makes for fertile eggs and therefore more chickens, but certain "favorite" hens are looking pretty ragged, with naked backs, upper wings and the back of their heads. Chickens mating is a violent thing to see.

One of the roos got nasty with Wendy, she had to "whack him upside the head" with a stick to get him to back off. I find him guilty as charged and sentence him to the crock pot.

The tricky part will be catching the Houdini rooster. He's quick, and doesn't want to be caught. Instead of chasing him all over the place and making a fool of myself, I think I'll do my Sgt. York imitation and take his head off with a rifle. Sort of like a siloutte match, only instead of using a pistol to shoot steel targets shaped like farm animals, I'll use a scoped AR-15 and the real thing.

He's a "white-faced Spanish" rooster, somewhat of a rare breed in America. Trying to spur Caleigh will only make it rarer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home