Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Did some plinking today

I haven't gone shooting just for the fun of it for a while. Since it is 7PM and still light out, I thought I'd take some time for myself and harass the swinging targets over by the treeline.

I dug around in the cabinet and came up with my Ruger MkII target pistol. it's got the short bull barrel, a 32oz trigger job (by me, it could have been lighter but 32oz is the limit per competition rules), Wolff springs, Volquartson oversized grips, and a home-made "speed hammer" (lightened to speed up lock time). On top of it sits an older Aimpoint red-dot scope attached via a B-square mount. The grips, scope and mount are black and the gun itself is stainless. Pretty sharp looking if I do say so myself!

The swinging targets are set along the treeline with the rising kill behind it as a backstop. They are a 40 yard shot from my deck. There are three of them set up on a bent rod. The targets themselves are blaze orange, and made of some kind of self-sealing rubbery material. When taken out of the box, each one had a target paster in the center, but that is kind of dumb because they were gone with the first rain.

I've hit them with military rifles, .22s and assorted muskets and they are still as good as new.

I fired a few mags full of CCI Standard Velocity .22 rimfires. Part of the fun is to see if I can get all three targets swinging before the first one hit stops moving. It's been a while since I played with this particular pistol, and it was no surprise to me how much that little red dot bounced around, but I still think I did pretty good.

I've considered joining the local gun club, but I found out that they don't have an indoor range so therefore no pistol team. Maybe I'll find one around here, who knows. Until then I will just have to remind myself to go out and play now and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home