Sunday, October 08, 2006

Coyotes!

Wendy was getting dinner ready tonight and aked me to take Caleigh down here to the shop and entertain her for 10 minutes so she could concentrate on cooking. We sang a song that had wanted to sing, then began sorting through a box of "stuff" from the old house. A few minutes into this, Wendy yelled down that I'd better come quick because it sounded like the coyotes were in the chicken coop. On the way out the door, I grabbed one of the house guns and a maglite.

When I got to the animal pens, the goats were a little shaken up (maybe because of my running towards them with a flashlight, they startle easily), Rocky the steer was lying down in the goat shed, looking at me with his big dumb cow eyes as if to say "Hi Pete, what brings you out here this time of night?". The ducks were in an uproar, but that's normal for them. The only thing that seemed out of place was the eerie howling and yipping coming from the woods on the far side of the pens.

They sounded like there were 4-5 of them, yapping away maybe 25 yards into the brush. I considered bushwacking around them up the old logging trail, but thought he better of it because I had already showered and hadn't yet put my belt into my clean pants. Since I have lost over 30 pounds on my 18th century diet, my pants don't do a good job staying up without a belt. The last thing I need is to be stumbling in the dark up a trail covered in thorny raspberry canes with a loaded shotgun with my pants falling every few steps. Wendy shouted something to me from the house, 40 yards away, and I answered, which shut the coyotes up for a while. Apparantly they hadn't noticed how close I had gotten until I spoke.

Now I've got my belt on, shoes too. Since I started to type this two hours ago, I've been back outside twice. There have been a few funny moments, like when I was stalking along the logging road near the pig pen and all of a sudden the pigs did a little panic stampede, then froze. I assumed they had seen something in the woods and froze myself, waiting for a noise or motion. A few moments of this frozen stuff passed, and it occured tome that it was me that the pigs were scared by. I spoke to them and they unfroze to go about their business, which meant coming over to see me in case I brought food this time.

I'll share one more funny moment, then I'm going back upstairs: There I was, standing silently against a big tree stump out the logging trail. I heard a twig snap, then another. Then silence. A few moments pass. Then I hear a low, ominous growl coming from really near by. My first thought is that they had out flanked me and we alarmed at suddenly spotting me or smelling me. Nope, it was my full belly settling after a big dinner.

This might be a long night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home