Friday, November 17, 2006

Planning a little event for next month

I was talking with Charlie L on the phone the toher day. We were talking about all of the fun little events there were to go to at this time of year once upon a time before politics and budget cuts at state parks and historic sites tore things apart.

Big events are cool to be a part of, but some of the best times I've had were at little venues with small numbers of people and a very small schedule of events.

I could sit back and long for the good old days, or I could do something about it. I'm more of a "do-er" than one to sit around and grouse about stuff, so I decided to put together a little weekend long event at our place. If just Charlie and I show up, that's enough to have fun. If a dozen people show up, that will work too, I'll just have to schlep more water out to the spot I've picked for our camp.

The event is to be a surveying trip, 18th century style. The plan is to survey and mark the boundaries of my land here, and make a decent scale map for planning purposes. We'll be using period equipment and techniques to do the actual measuring, and staying in a brush lean-to that Steven and I will build on the bluff overlooking our crude shooting range. We'll cook period trail food, learn a few things, and hopefully have a good time.

Sometimes I work so many hours that I forget how much fun it can be to burn your food over a campfire, then go to bed for a cold, wet night of shivering under the stars. You have to have your fun where you find it!

Interested in coming to survey and camp with us? Click here to read a quikie little web page about the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home