Sunday, December 03, 2006

Butchered rabbits today

Today started off with standard confusion, but we slavaged the day by butchering rabbits. Everybody here is sick, so we slept late. The original plan was to start filling the freezer with ducks and chickens, but the Coleman stove that I use to keep the scalding pot hot crapped out on my once and for all. I couldn't put my hands on the propane powered backup stove, so plucking birds was out for today.

Instead I butchered rabbits. The way you butcher a rabbit is to hold it by the back legs in one hand so that the head hangs down, then whack it in the back of the head with a blunt object. It makes a noise like crushing an eggshell, the rabbit's body tweaks for a few seconds, then goes limp.

You hang it by the back feet (over a bucket), cut the head off, then the front paws, skin it, gut it, then cut off the hind feet and you are done. The pigs get the guts and head, I put the skins in the freezer to tan when I've accumulated a bunch of them, and the rest is ready to eat or freeze.

Rabbit tastes like white meat chicken and can be kind of dry if you don't use a wet cooking method. It makes good chili. (everything makes good chili)

And...NO PLUCKING!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home