Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wiring in the lights

The wiring for the three new ceiling fixtures in the room that will contain Wendy's office/Caleigh's play area is fianlly done.

Now I remember why, way back in electrician school, I made the decision to get into industrial control wiring instead of going the standard residential electrical journeyman route. At the time, there was a building craze on and on every tiny little patch of land that was available condos were springing up. (why anyone would want to live in one is beyond me, living in an apartment is enough of a drag, why would someone pay closing costs on an apartment?) All of the other guys I was in school with were getting co-op jobs with local contractors who had them "roughing" condos. Seems like a good thing to be involved with when you are 18, but my drafting teacher pointed out to me that it's not the kind of thing you'd like to be doing when you are 50. (he wanted me to be a draftsman instead)

I took his advice to a point, and pursued a course of learning where I leanred about industrial control wiring, which led to robotics and custom automation machine building. That was a couple of careers ago, so I won't get into details too much. My point is that I never got into residential wiring as was the goal of all of my friends, so I never had to roll around on top of ceiling joists in mounds of fiberglass insulation to run wires to light fixtures...until now.

It makes me glad that I got into industrial wiring instead, and even gladder that I sell guns instead of industrial wiring.

The good news is that I only have to do it a couple more times: we'll be adding ceiling fixtures in the new dining room, one in the new bedroom, and at least one in the new living room. The living room wiring job will suck, it is located under the lower part of a low-pitched shed roof that is studded with roofing nails. The rest of them won't be as bad because they are under a peaked roof, so there is actually some headroom and I won't need to belly-crawl across boards laid on the joists through a sea of pink fiberglass like I did last night. I hope my friends from school are having a good time doing it every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home