Sunday, September 16, 2007

All of a sudden, it's fall

We got in late last night from Lake George and the 250th anniversary of the French attack on Fort William Henry.

That meant today was spent running around doing errands and catching up on stuff.

One of the things we had to do was to get a new microwave, and we got it in Claremont, the city to the north of us. It's about a 25 mile round trip to get there, so we planned out our shopping and made a loop of all the stores we wanted to go to (groceries, Home Depot, Wal-Mart etc). Around 9PM, we got home and unloaded the truck, and noticed that Wendy's pocketbook wasn't here. I called Wal-Mart, the last stop we had made, and yes, they did indeed have it.

Instead of taking the 10mpg truck or the 25 mpg car, I decided to take the 45mpg motorcycle. Any excuse to take the bike is a good one. All of a sudden, it's cold out at night! In the old days, before I was married with a kid and a full-time business to run, I'd ride year-round as long as the roads weren't icy, so I've got cold weather gear. Fortunately, I had recently come across the earflaps to my half-helmet in the garage while unpacking and knew right where they were so I put them on.

I zipped up to Claremont to get the pocketbook, and on the way back the road had a little less traffic so I had a few chances to open it up. There is one spot along a large meadow where a hang-gliding school has an "ultralight' runway that is straight and kind of fun to really hit the throttle on. Tonight, due to the rapid cooling of the air and the moisture on the grass, there was a thick, gooey fog rolling across the road from the meadow. As I came around the bend in the road that leads to the straightaway, I put my feet back on the passenger pegs and laid forward on the tank, behind the fairing and nailed the throttle. I don't know how fast I was going when I shot into the fog, but it was a pretty cool feeling, much like flying.

I got home and parked the bike, and went upstairs to check the thermometer. 42 degrees outside. Good thing I found my ear flaps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home