Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Scaled AQT targets

If you read Shotgun News, the gun classified ad newspaper, you have no doubt seen Fred's (paid ad) column where he extols the virtues of teaching every citizen to be a "rifleman" and to know how to shoot. As he puts it, you are either a rifleman, or a cook. I see the value in knowing how to shoot, and thought I'd give his AQT (Army Qualification Test) targets a try.

What he has done is to scale down the standard sized AQT targets to use at 25 yards. So in effect, the 100 yard portion of the target is 6 1/4" across, the 200 yard portion is 3 1/4" across, 300 yard is 2", and the 400 yard target is just is 1 3/4" across.

The targets are scaled in that way so that you can use a shorter range and still practice aiming at the targets as they would appear at those distances.

What you do is post the target at 25 yards and fire 5 shots at each portion. There is a place for scoring at the bottom, and a little chart that classifies your score as "unqualified" (below 125), "marksman" (125-169), "sharpshooter" (170-210)or "expert rifleman" (210 or higher).

I am feeling pretty crappy today, as it in my turn to have the flu (Wendy and Caleigh are still trying to shake it). I have a headache and just don't feel up to talking on the phone, so I have been doing little things around here. After I fed the critters, I took a few minutes for myself and set up one of Fred's targets on my target-holding stump and went at it with my .22 rifle. Actually, I set up two: one was the AQT target, the other was was a similar one that dispenses with scoring rings and is meant to simulate a "redcoat" at the varying distances.

You'll be happy to know that Meany Road is safe from the Redcoats, because I managed to hit them all. As far as the AQT goes, I qualified as an "Expert Rifleman" with a score of 236. My goal now is to practice up, and bring that up to the perfect score of 250. Not today though, I may be able to take out a Redcoat at 400 yards, but I'm no match for the flu.

If you want to give Fred's cool targets a try, you can order them at http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp

Give it a try, be safe and have fun!

1 Comments:

Blogger dlr said...

I have some freebies here - http://ironat500.blogspot.com/2007/07/aqt-target.html

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home