Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wow, I am amazed at how much a tractor improved my life

In less than an hour, I hauled a bucket load of firewood to the house and piled it up on the hill near where we stack it. The bucket load would have been at least four wheelbarrows full and to push a wheelbarrow over the terrain I just drove the tractor would have been strenuous to say the least.

Then, I switched the bucket for the forks (I.E. like the business end of a fork truck) and used them to pick up and haul a big fiberglass hot tub (one of those "some day" projects) from the space behind the house to a flat area over near the pond. The tub probably weighs 1000 pounds, it took four of us to lift it off of the back of my truck when it found it's way here. The tractor lifted it and hauled it effortlessly. The trail to the pond is up a steep, rocky grade that has a bunch of saplings piled on it at one point. No sweat, over the saplings, up the hill, over the rocks and to the pond.

After moving the tub, I scooped up a musket crate full of leftover lumber scraps (I.E. kindling) and used the forks to lift it up onto the hill.

All of this in less than an hour without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, the simple old fashioned life where you do stuff by hand sounds great on paper, but if they had diesel engines in the 18th century, they certainly would have used them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home