Friday, October 21, 2005

Disaster? Ha! What a jerk...

(My appologies in advance folks, this guy really has me pissed off and I get a bit profane. I don't know if I can edit this blog or not, maybe after I've cooled off a bit I will delete some things.)

Hell week is nearing it's completion, and a lot was accomplished. More on that later, once it is all done. At least my Jeep is here, safe and sound.

Instead of writing about all of the stuff we got done this week under pressure, I instead feel compelled to rant about a flaming anus of a customer who is being a real jerk.

This guy, I'll call him CH, ordered an assortment of stuff for the Southern Planation House museum he works for, they needed it for a school program. I like to help out museums with stuff whenever possible, especially for school programs because it serves the greater good. All of the stuff they wanted was not currently available, so we actually put other work aside and fabricated something for him.

Due to a paperwork glitch, we didn't have the English Sea Service pistol on hand to ship in time for the program, so we actually offered to LEND them a French Sea Service pistol until the English ones come in.

So that's all settled, and the guy asks to order 2 muskets for his unit. Because of a good friend reccomended him, we agreed to sell them to him at the unit price. This was at the end of last week. I personally worked long hours and so did everybody else trying to get the backordered stuff out to the people who have been patiently waiting, and the only fair thing is to put this guy at the end of the line behind them. He never mentioned that he needed thme for an event or that it was time sensitive in any way.

Then, early this week we get another call from this CH character saying that he needs the muskets he had ordered just days before for an event this Thursday (I guess that is yesterday). As you are aware if you read this blog, I have been out of state for several days this week and all shipping and shop work had to stop during that time. Wendy is much more of a softy than I am at times and convinced me to drop what I was doing after getting back from Massachusetts to vent, prep and ship this guy's muskets at 11PM on Tuesday night. If that's not "pulling all the stops to please the customer", I don't know what is.

Then we get an email from him that says he needs them for a specially scheduled BAR inspection to consider his unit for acceptance and that he fully expects us (presumably at our expense-yeah, right) to send them by OVERNIGHT delivery. I'll go off on a tangent here and say that if your unit does not even have muskets, then you are not ready to schedule any inspection by the BAR. Furthermore, if TWO muskets make the difference between acceptance between joining and not joining, then your unit isn't big enough to watse the BAR's time with.

This shit-for-brains actually called not getting his muskets overnighted to him a DISASTER. Nope, at best it is an inconvieniance. A disaster is when Pauly's house got flooded out, a disaster is when a couple's house got washed down the river and took out several bridges, severing major roads into town, a disaster is 79,000 people dying in an earthquake in South Asia. What a self-serving loser!

Wendy had been emailing this clown all along. He claims to be a proffesional "historical consultant" (yeah, whatever, aren't we all...) but yet has an AOL address. In other words, he doesn't get a lot of his email from non-AOL addresses and it is often delayed. So then we get a rather uppity email from him where he states:

All I have gotten from you is excuses and never proper service. You have a great product, but if the service is horrible, then why purchase from you?

If I sound dis-pleased, it is because I am as I felt that I have gotten burned twice and I still don't have a complete order from you from the last order.

In the future, I don't want excuses. I don't want to hear so-and-so died, or this person is sick. I don't care. If you make a mistake in the future, please do not give me excuses. Just tell me that you are sorry and you will not let it happen again.


What an asshole. The service from Wendy is horrible? Let's see, we fabricated a sword for him so that he (correction-his employer) would have it on time, even though there were other people ahead of him waiting, we sold him a Pedersoli musket AT COST for the museum, we bumped him up on the list of things to pack, putting him ahead of one of our bigger wholesale customers, and eventually even stayed up late intot he night to get his TWO muskets out to him, less than a week after they were ordered because he had an event coming up. That's horrible service.

The amazing part is that, even though we did all of this for him, he still thinks we owe him something.

The ratio of really great people that we meet in this business to jerks like this is astonishing. Hundreds to one, but unfortunatley it's the weenie with the biggest mouth that stands out more. It is unfortunate that we did manage to get the clown's muskets shipped out at all, because I would not have sold them to him if I had known he would be so disrespectful. He doesn't deserve them. If I could figure out how to make UPS pull them back without delivering, I would.

This is a very human business, and humans need to be treated with respect. This guy is obviously a bean-counting poser, a bully who thinks he can intimidate women. Probably had a small penis and had to make up for it by being a blowhard. He seems to think he is much more important than others and should be treated as such. The only mistake we made was in trying to go the extra mile to help out a museum to meet a deadline. Sometimes trying to nice to people just comes around to bite you in the ass.

We do this job because we love it. When I worked in high-tech, I had to deal with folks like this who think the world owes them something because they have a degree. I didn't take crap from them back then, and I am not about to start now. I am certainly not going to allow him to give crap to my wife, who gives her all to customers to make them as happy as we can. I hear it from everybody. Well, at least from humans.

It's a good thing that so many of our customers are such great, respectful, loving people. We've made many, many friends in this business. If I had to deal with two jackasses like CH in a row, it would be enough to make me throw in the towel.

I'm going to go let the goats out, eat leftover pork roast and go pack We's order that he has be so patient and polite aobut. It's people like Wes and so many others that make this all worthwhile.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

Sorry to hear about "the Jerk" giving you and Wendy a hard time. I've never had anything but the very best service from you, and wonderful communications about what's happening! So don't let one ass get you down too much... sadly, a small but annoying part of the program...

Cheers!

Gordon

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home