Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Making progress on the roadway

I got an "early" start on the roadbuilding project today...5:30PM. It stays light until about 6:30-6:45 before I need to use the headlights, so I got a good hour in before I had to really narrow down my operations.

Tonight I managed to get the tractor up off of the existing logging road and onto the flat spot in front of the dining fly. Once I was up there, I concentrated on ripping out sharp rocks and tree stumps that could potentially puncture a tractor tire or be something to trip over.

What I am learning in this project is that a small tree stump is a relatively easy thing to tear out of the ground...unless that tree grew it's roots into and around a bunch of large chunks of rock. And guess what, in NH, ALL tree roots grow around chunks of rock! Big rocks, little rocks, even bigger rocks. At one point, I even struck ledge.

It is a learning curve, but I am making progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home